Friday, November 7, 2008

Week 10 Readings

Web Search Engines

At this point, we've encountered dozens of descriptions of the magnitude of content on the Web, as well as the magnitude of the task that search engines face - but it still amazes me. Tens of thousands of computers running thousands of parallel threads of query at once, unceasingly.
I had never known what types of techniques spammers use, even very basic ones, so this was interesting as well. I didn't realize what great lengths spammers go to, even creating entire landscapes of servers, links, and pages to try to gain artificial credibility. I don't quite understand what makes it worth all this effort.
This read piqued my interest for several topics, without going into too much technical detail.

The Deep Web

It didn't surprise me too much that search engines only scratch the surface. But I assumed that most of what we can't easily access is secure, has restricted access, or something. This is very frustrating when you think about how much relevant, rich content is hiding in the 'deep web', especially considering the worthless results I've gotten from so many searches.

No comments: