Friday, September 5, 2008

Week 3 Readings

Linux: completely new to me, so I found this article particularly intriguing. If Linux was the result of the first attempt at a standardized operating system, I wonder how the development of other OS's paralleled it, and when and why they began to surpass Linux in popularity. What I got from the readings was that it was because the other OS's seem to put their focus on user-friendliness and customer appeal.
I also found it interesting that anyone with Linux has the ability to further develop/alter the programming (if I understand correctly) I wonder how far these manipulations can be taken and if the system can even become unrecognizable from the original "kernel".

[kernelthread] Wow...I just couldn't much beyond the introduction, history and conclusion. As soon as I got into the "meat" of the article, I was tempted to just skip this reading altogether. I moved on to the Wikipedia article, which felt like a walk in the park - almost too un-technical as it seemed to dwell mainly on basic features and appearance. But this helped a lot when I revisited the kernelthread reading; I was able to digest more than I thought I could.

What I do know is...I love my Mac!

2 comments:

sr. becky said...

I had the same thoughts about user friendly and customer appeal in the OS article. These are two points are important criteria when manufacturing a product, because it doesn’t meet the demands of the public you will not be in business. People, like me, do not want to aggravate when it comes to technology and this is where the future is going (computers). I'm happy to know there is a Mac lover out there, maybe someday I will be one, also. Sr. Becky

Rand said...

You understood correctly: because Linux is open-source, anyone with the right skills can make alterations to the code. But first, one needs those skills!